Saturday, July 13, 2013

Chicken Nuggets ala McDo!!! The Secret to those Yummy Bites

I have always been crazy for McDonald's chicken nuggets as far back as I can remember. There is just something about those nibblets that I find truly beckoning. Even during times when our family was not at the financial stability we have now, I have always, always, lusted for these. I have made many attempts at making or copying this, along with a lot of other fast food fares that I am crazy for, but have failed 90% of the time. But now, in my last attempt, finally! I have cracked the code. It's not the same as the one you can get from the drive-thru, but it gives you a myriad of flavors for you to play with.

Before we begin... I have missed two weeks of posting due to the schedule change at work. Man, after being in the early morning shift (how I hate having to go to work at 3 am...) we are now officially in the night shift. A team mate posted on facebook and her post kinda stuck in my head. And I quote: "I said i need to work, i didn't say i want to kill myself..." how true her words. But enough of my excuses. Let's get cooking!





Ingredients:

Nuggets:
500 g chicken meat (I used a whole chicken and just deboned the breast part but for convenience you can opt to get the ground chicken meat available in the grocery or the skinless breast fillet.)
1 tbsp sea salt/ 1/2 tbsp table salt
pepper
variety of spices (for this recipe, I used, mustard seed powder, oregano, rosemary and paprika)
3 cloves of garlic
1 small onion
50g grated cheese (I didn't have parmesan so I made use of the cheddar I had in the fridge) 

Breading
1-2 cups of tapioca flour
1 egg, beaten
*optional
You can make use of fine bread crumbs, crushed savory crackers, panko or plain flour for the second coating. I opted to use tapioca all together for the crispness it brings and also due to health constraints of the the people at home.

Equipment:
A sturdy blender or a food processor

Method:
1. If using a whole chicken or a whole chicken breast, debone and skin first, then cut to about half inch cubes, don't worry about making pretty slices just approximate it to about the same size. Same goes for the skinless breast fillet just cut it up. If using ground chicken meat, leave as is.

2. Sprinkle the meat with salt. Add about 2-3 dashes of ground pepper. Massage into meat, Let sit for about 15 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, skin the garlic cloves. Skin the onion as well and chop to about the same size as the garlic cloves. Cut the cheese up to approximately the same size, is using powdered parmesan, leave as is.

4. Mix the garlic, onions, the spices you wish to use and the cheese with the meat.

5. Put the meat mix into the blender and blend at low setting for about 30 secs to a minute. You can do this in portions if you have a small machine.

6. Put the meat mix in a bowl and shape into balls about an inch in diameter. You can make the balls bigger if you like bigger nuggets.

7. Put the flour in  a bowl. If using a different second coat, place in a different bowl.

8. Put beaten egg in another bowl.

9. Begin breading. Dip the ball in the plain flour bowl and coat evenly. Then dip into egg coat evenly. Then dip into second coat (mine is same as the first so I just dipped it there again :p). Coat evenly, flatten the ball in a separate flat dish lined with wax paper or a layer of flour. Do not over flatten, just flatten to about half an inch thickness and roughly shape into, well, nuggets. Do the same for the rest of the batch.

10. Once every nugget is coated, heat enough oil in a shallow frying pan to cover have the nuggets. Heat the oil in medium heat, do not over heat the oil. A way to check if it's hot enough is to sprinkle a pinch of flour on the oil and it should sizzle. 

11. Fry the nuggets. Try to fit as many nuggets as you can. If the oil is hot enough, they won't stick to each other. Fry each side for about 4-5 minutes or until you get a golden brown you are happy with. Flip the nuggets and cook the same way.

12. Drain in colander or in paper towels. Serve and enjoy!

***Now I just have to copy the barbeque sauce. LOL***

Note: The spices and the additives I added are as according to my taste. You can make do with just chicken, salt and pepper if you prefer it plain.



 Itadakimasu! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment